Washington DC
New York
Toronto
Distribution: (800) 510 9863
Press ID
  • Login
Binghamton Herald
Advertisement
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Culture
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
Binghamton Herald
No Result
View All Result
Home Trending

22 Killed As Massive Landfill Collapses In Guinea Capital After Heavy Rains

by Binghamton Herald Report
August 23, 2026
in Trending
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

At least 22 people were killed after a massive pile of rubbish collapsed at Guinea’s largest landfill in the capital Conakry early Sunday, according to a provisional toll released by the country’s civil protection service.

Heavy rains began around 3am and washed over the waste at the Dar Es Salam landfill, triggering a landslide that buried nearby makeshift shelters. Search and rescue teams were deployed to look for survivors.

The landfill had been scheduled for closure on Sunday, said Lt Col Baldé Mamadou Bailo, sanitation officer with the military engineering battalion.

Authorities had issued eviction notices to residents living near the landfill, prompting many families to leave the area. However, several people were still there when the collapse occurred.

“We will ensure that the remaining families are relocated elsewhere,” Territorial Administration and Decentralisation Minister Dienabou Touré said at the site.

At least 22 people were killed after a massive pile of rubbish collapsed at Guinea’s largest landfill in the capital Conakry early Sunday, according to a provisional toll released by the country’s civil protection service.

Heavy rains began around 3am and washed over the waste at the Dar Es Salam landfill, triggering a landslide that buried nearby makeshift shelters. Search and rescue teams were deployed to look for survivors.

The landfill had been scheduled for closure on Sunday, said Lt Col Baldé Mamadou Bailo, sanitation officer with the military engineering battalion.

Authorities had issued eviction notices to residents living near the landfill, prompting many families to leave the area. However, several people were still there when the collapse occurred.

“We will ensure that the remaining families are relocated elsewhere,” Territorial Administration and Decentralisation Minister Dienabou Touré said at the site.

At least 22 people were killed after a massive pile of rubbish collapsed at Guinea’s largest landfill in the capital Conakry early Sunday, according to a provisional toll released by the country’s civil protection service.

Heavy rains began around 3am and washed over the waste at the Dar Es Salam landfill, triggering a landslide that buried nearby makeshift shelters. Search and rescue teams were deployed to look for survivors.

The landfill had been scheduled for closure on Sunday, said Lt Col Baldé Mamadou Bailo, sanitation officer with the military engineering battalion.

Authorities had issued eviction notices to residents living near the landfill, prompting many families to leave the area. However, several people were still there when the collapse occurred.

“We will ensure that the remaining families are relocated elsewhere,” Territorial Administration and Decentralisation Minister Dienabou Touré said at the site.

At least 22 people were killed after a massive pile of rubbish collapsed at Guinea’s largest landfill in the capital Conakry early Sunday, according to a provisional toll released by the country’s civil protection service.

Heavy rains began around 3am and washed over the waste at the Dar Es Salam landfill, triggering a landslide that buried nearby makeshift shelters. Search and rescue teams were deployed to look for survivors.

The landfill had been scheduled for closure on Sunday, said Lt Col Baldé Mamadou Bailo, sanitation officer with the military engineering battalion.

Authorities had issued eviction notices to residents living near the landfill, prompting many families to leave the area. However, several people were still there when the collapse occurred.

“We will ensure that the remaining families are relocated elsewhere,” Territorial Administration and Decentralisation Minister Dienabou Touré said at the site.

At least 22 people were killed after a massive pile of rubbish collapsed at Guinea’s largest landfill in the capital Conakry early Sunday, according to a provisional toll released by the country’s civil protection service.

Heavy rains began around 3am and washed over the waste at the Dar Es Salam landfill, triggering a landslide that buried nearby makeshift shelters. Search and rescue teams were deployed to look for survivors.

The landfill had been scheduled for closure on Sunday, said Lt Col Baldé Mamadou Bailo, sanitation officer with the military engineering battalion.

Authorities had issued eviction notices to residents living near the landfill, prompting many families to leave the area. However, several people were still there when the collapse occurred.

“We will ensure that the remaining families are relocated elsewhere,” Territorial Administration and Decentralisation Minister Dienabou Touré said at the site.

At least 22 people were killed after a massive pile of rubbish collapsed at Guinea’s largest landfill in the capital Conakry early Sunday, according to a provisional toll released by the country’s civil protection service.

Heavy rains began around 3am and washed over the waste at the Dar Es Salam landfill, triggering a landslide that buried nearby makeshift shelters. Search and rescue teams were deployed to look for survivors.

The landfill had been scheduled for closure on Sunday, said Lt Col Baldé Mamadou Bailo, sanitation officer with the military engineering battalion.

Authorities had issued eviction notices to residents living near the landfill, prompting many families to leave the area. However, several people were still there when the collapse occurred.

“We will ensure that the remaining families are relocated elsewhere,” Territorial Administration and Decentralisation Minister Dienabou Touré said at the site.

At least 22 people were killed after a massive pile of rubbish collapsed at Guinea’s largest landfill in the capital Conakry early Sunday, according to a provisional toll released by the country’s civil protection service.

Heavy rains began around 3am and washed over the waste at the Dar Es Salam landfill, triggering a landslide that buried nearby makeshift shelters. Search and rescue teams were deployed to look for survivors.

The landfill had been scheduled for closure on Sunday, said Lt Col Baldé Mamadou Bailo, sanitation officer with the military engineering battalion.

Authorities had issued eviction notices to residents living near the landfill, prompting many families to leave the area. However, several people were still there when the collapse occurred.

“We will ensure that the remaining families are relocated elsewhere,” Territorial Administration and Decentralisation Minister Dienabou Touré said at the site.

At least 22 people were killed after a massive pile of rubbish collapsed at Guinea’s largest landfill in the capital Conakry early Sunday, according to a provisional toll released by the country’s civil protection service.

Heavy rains began around 3am and washed over the waste at the Dar Es Salam landfill, triggering a landslide that buried nearby makeshift shelters. Search and rescue teams were deployed to look for survivors.

The landfill had been scheduled for closure on Sunday, said Lt Col Baldé Mamadou Bailo, sanitation officer with the military engineering battalion.

Authorities had issued eviction notices to residents living near the landfill, prompting many families to leave the area. However, several people were still there when the collapse occurred.

“We will ensure that the remaining families are relocated elsewhere,” Territorial Administration and Decentralisation Minister Dienabou Touré said at the site.

Tags: 22 Killed As Massive Landfill Collapses In Guinea Capital After Heavy RainsABP LiveBreaking NewsGuineaLandfill collapses Guinea
Previous Post

PoK Protest Enters Day 76: Village Defence Committees Formed, Muzaffarabad March Planned

Next Post

Iran Says ‘Authorised’ Ships Crossing Strait Of Hormuz Must Pay Tehran Service Fees

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Business
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Trending
  • Uncategorized
  • World
Binghamton Herald

© 2024 Binghamton Herald or its affiliated companies.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Culture
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Trending

© 2024 Binghamton Herald or its affiliated companies.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In