Washington DC
New York
Toronto
Distribution: (800) 510 9863
Press ID
  • Login
Binghamton Herald
Advertisement
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Culture
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
Binghamton Herald
No Result
View All Result
Home Trending

Mexican President Blames Migrants At Detention Centre For Fire That Killed 39

by Binghamton Herald Report
March 29, 2023
in Trending
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A fire that killed 39 people at a migrant detention centre near the US border in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, was started by migrants protesting against their expected deportation, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Tuesday.

The fire at the detention centre, which housed 68 people, began on Monday night, as per IANS’ report. As per a report of the immigration authorities, 29 people are in ‘critical’ condition.

President Obrador during a press conference said, “This had to do with a protest that they (the migrants) started, we suppose, after they found out that they were going to be deported. They put mattresses at the door of the shelter and set them on fire as a protest and they didn’t imagine it would cause this terrible tragedy.”

Footage of the incident has been shared on the micro-blogging platform and its authenticity has been confirmed by Mexico’s interior secretary Adan Augusto Lopez. The footage showcases migrants placing a mattress against the bars of the detention cell and then setting it on fire while guards walked away without trying to save the migrants that were locked up inside the cell.

#BREAKING #MEXICO

🔴MEXICO :#VIDEO LEAKED IMAGES FROM FIRE AT MIGRANT FACILITY IN CIUDAD JUAREZ REVEAL TERRIFYING SCENES

Migrants were locked up & were not let out.
39 Migrants killed,dozens injured. #BreakingNews #UltimaHora #CiudadJuarez #Migrants #Migrantes #Fire #Incendio pic.twitter.com/QU4gfc5McD


— LoveWorld (@LoveWorld_Peopl) March 28, 2023

According to a statement from the Mexico attorney general’s office, immigration officials identified the deceased and injured as being from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Venezuela, Colombia, and Ecuador. 28 of those killed, according to Mario Bucaro, minister of foreign affairs for Guatemala, were Guatemalan citizens.

It was the deadliest incident inside a Mexican immigration facility in recent memory. Authorities are investigating the cause of the fire and the governmental National Human Rights Commission had been called in to help the migrants.

Tensions between authorities and migrants had apparently been running high in recent weeks in Ciudad Juarez, where shelters are full of people waiting for opportunities to cross into the U.S. or who have requested asylum there and are waiting out the process. 

Tags: Ciudad Juarezdetention centreIllegal MigrantMEXICOMigrant Facility
Previous Post

How Newsom fell short of the oil penalty he wanted but still scored a political win

Next Post

Taiwan’s Takes Defiant Stand After China Threatens Retaliation For US Trip

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Business
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Trending
  • Uncategorized
  • World
Binghamton Herald

© 2024 Binghamton Herald or its affiliated companies.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Culture
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Trending

© 2024 Binghamton Herald or its affiliated companies.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In